Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Using Blogs in the Library

Coming out of an extremely restricitve school where I taught alternative high school students for two years, I wish I would have found something this exciting to use in the classroom. Most of the students came out of lower income families but still had access to the internet. We were always restricting the access that students had to the internet, in addition to the types of assingments that they could do while using technology. We had an amazing computer tech teacher, but there was never any collaboration with him, we always just used the space and asked him to move over, or just help monitor the students. Bloggin would have definitely engaged these students and would have given them some outlet in the world where they spent most of their time, yet were the most resticted.

I think using blogs in the library is such an oxymoron that its almost radical in thought. Who would have known that we could make a student's time in the media centerr this enjoyanle while using something that is common to them. Rather than just handing out homework assignments and then collecting them and having to suffer through than mandated excuses of "I don't have it" or "I didn't know that was due today!," you could just post it on the blog to have students respond. On the teacher's part, I am sooooooooooooooooo tired of reading through papers and I am always distracted by the internet and searching, that this would actually focus me and help me to give instant feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment